Groove Pilot is a unique immersive and interactive spatial music experience for both desktop and VR.
Check the website out here: https://groovepilot.ninja/
- Update: 2018-06-02: Accepted into Oculus Start Developer Program
- Update: 2018-05-15: Released on Microsoft store
- Update 2018-04-25: New dedicated website groovepilot.ninja + twitter @groove_pilot
- Update 2018-04-12: Music composing course finished, charity album of stereo mixes released. Have a listen here!
- Update 2018-03-05: New visual theme and music collaboration with Australian Institute of Music Game Composer course.
- Update 2018-01-09: Selected by Microsoft for the Windows Mixed Reality Developer Program
- Initial Prototype 2017-11-11 Itch.io PROCJAM 2017
As part of my continuing series of explorations around spatial music I threw together this prototype to play with some ideas about:
- Spatial music
- Real-time mixing
How to play?
- You must use headphones or earbuds to experience the spatial music
- Collect all 14 sound orbs to complete the level.
- Collect each sound orb before you run out of fuel.
- Each one collected will give you a bonus fuel boost as well
- As you collect each sound orb it enables another layer of the downtempo chill music track to play.
- Each layer of music is located in 3D space so is mixed relative to all the others as you move around, dynamically changing the music mix and experience on the fly.
- In a sense it’s a generative music piece controlled by the players movement through 3D space.
- Each sound orb/music track/stem is also visualized procedurally in different ways with real time signal processing to drive reactive graphics.
- Note: Sound visualization currently only works on desktop version, working on a fix for the WebGL browser version.
- Best used with an XBox360 type controller to fly.
- Left Stick: Pitch/Yaw
- Triggers: Roll
- Button A: Start/Brakes
Try it out: https://groovepilot.netlify.com Note: This is WebGL and best used in Chrome/Firefox with minimal tabs open.
Research and Development
I did a talk about the development approach at VR Hub Tokyo Year-End Meetup Vol.4 | Health & Fitness with VR and AR titled “Design Framework for a Therapeutic VR app”.
Related projects are:
Web playable non-vr prototype submitted as part of Procjam 2017 @ https://itch.io/jam/procjam/rate/194089
Built in Unity 3D. Desktop only as Unity WebGL is currently not supported on mobiles.